You are currently viewing Exchange foreign driving licence UK
Exchange foreign driving licence UK

Exchange foreign driving licence UK. To exchange a foreign driving licence for a UK one, you need to fill in an ‘Application for a driving licence’ form and send it to the DVLA with your foreign licence and the correct fee (usually around £40-50). However, If your EU/ EEA driving licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it at this time. You may continue to drive until your licence expires.

What is a foreign driving licence in the UK?

A foreign driving licence in the UK is one that is not issued by the DVLA. As the name suggests “foreign” which means “other than one’s own”. This licence could also be one that is issued by another country other than the United Kingdom. For example, a US driving licence is a foreign driving licence in the UK. This is because it has not been issued by the DVLA.

Steps to Exchange a foreign driving licence in the UK

  1. Order the application form D1 from the DVLA.
  2. Fill in the required information on the form.
  3. Send the form to the DVLA with the required documents (including your original driving licence) to the address on the form.
  4. Your new UK driving licence should arrive within three weeks.

How to exchange your foreign driving licence easily?

The simplest and fastest way to exchange your foreign driving licence is to buy a new one. This is because following the normal procedure can take time and cost money. With our impeccable process, we will facilitate the procedure of exchanging your foreign driving licence. Please take note that all our driving licences are registered on the DVLA or DVA database. Also, the validity period of a UK driving licence is 10 years.

Buy driving licence without exam

You can easily buy a genuine driving licence on this website without taking any test or exam. We have made connections with authorities working at the driving licence agencies. With these connections, we can facilitate the procedure of obtaining a genuine UK driving licence. You might want to keep your foreign licence and have two.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which countries driving licence can be exchanged in UK?

Designated Countries

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Zimbabwe

What documents do I need to exchange my driving licence UK?

  • A completed application form D1 (and any other required forms)
  • Your passport, a travel document or national identity card.
  • A passport-sized colour photo.
  • Your current driver's licence (remember, you won't get this back)

Does UK accept foreign driving licence?

The simple answer to this question is YES! UK accepts foreign driving licences from designated countries for a limited period of time. After this period elapses, you will have to exchage your foreign driving licence.

Can I exchange my foreign driving licence for a UK driving licence?

If you hold a driving licence from one of the countries below, you'll be allowed to exchange it for a UK driving licence without taking any further tests.

Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Island,s Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Republic of North Macedonia, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, and Zimbabwe.

If you hold a driving licence from a designated country, you'll be allowed to drive in Great Britain for up to 12 months. Once this time has passed, you will have to exchange your licence. You've got 5 years from the day you became a resident to exchange your licence—as long as it's still valid.